Monday, January 23, 2017

Beyond Blue Sky: Collectible Disneyland Minifigs, Part 1

I'm going to talk about LEGO again. If that's not your thing, please examine the sidebar for other websites you might enjoy for the next two weeks.
Remember last year when I was getting all excited about LEGO minifigures of Disney characters and the Cinderella Castle set and the prospect of more theme park sets to come?
Well…we haven’t had any more theme park sets, but the character minifigs were enough of a hit that we expect to get another wave of them. The speculation about which characters will be included in Round Two has been madder than a Tea Party…but you can probably guess where my mind is going in all this. As long as we're going to have collectible Disney minifigs...why not collectible Disneyland minifigs?
Think they wouldn't sell? I beg to differ. I can't really think of any minifigure concept that is so specific to Disneyland as to hold no interest for the adult LEGO fan community at large. “Disneyland minifigs” potentially fall into two main categories: 1) Disney characters, which have already proven their appeal, and 2) general characters, whose potential appeal can be demonstrated by...basically all the other non-licensed waves of collectible minifigures.
To further illustrate what I mean, I offer this hypothetical set of minifigs designed to satisfy fans of both Disneyland and LEGO, so that the true breadth of their appeal will be evident.
In fact...I'm going to offer two sets: one for each of the two main categories mentioned above. I'll cover the pre-existing Disney character this week and the others next week.


So, a standard LEGO Collectible Minifig series consists of 16 individual figures. But with the first set of Disney characters, The LEGO Group literally gave 110%*—it includes two extra! So we'll use that as our standard—18 characters in a set. As it happens, 18 is twice nine, and nine is the number of themed lands Disneyland is soon to have.** So let's make this interesting with a few rules: two characters per land. In fact, let's specify one male and one female character per land—the collectible minifig lines tend to be pretty dude-dominated.
Since these are minifigs, obviously the characters have to be human, or at least humanoid. I'm going to restrict myself to Disney-owned (but not necessarily Disney-created) characters that were introduced outside the parks, in movies or TV shows. Each character must have an identifiable connection to the land where I assign them, not just fit in a general thematic sense. I'll try to avoid just picking two characters from the same film or franchise.
You know what? One more restriction, just for the challenge: No characters that have already been made into minifigures. To be clear, I am specifying minifigures, and not the “minidolls” used in the sets targeted at girls. Observe:


And now I'm going to make things a smidge easier on myself. Series 1 of the Collectible Disney Minfigs includes only animated characters. I'm going to allow live-action as well.
Let's do this thing.

Main Street, USA: For the gal, I'm thinking Mary Poppins. She's a well-known character, Disney wants to keep her on the radar in order to promote Mary Poppins Returns, and she is associated with Main Street via the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Coming up with a male character for Main Street is a lot tougher. It's just not a very character-heavy area to begin with, and most of the male characters you might expect to see there are disqualified under the standards I've laid out. After some deliberation, I've decided to go with: Pluto. He, with the rest of the Sensational Six, greets arriving guests in Town Square—as a dog Pluto is particularly tied to the Firehouse. And the theme park version of him is bipedal, so he fits the “humanoid” qualification.
Adventureland: This time, it was easier to decide on the male character. Indiana Jones already exists in LEGO form, so he's out. So do Aladdin and the Genie, courtesy of the Disney series. But Tarzan is still available—yes, LEGO has already created an Expy of him, but not the named character himself. As for the female character...let's give minifig!Aladdin his lady love, Jasmine! If the fact that she already existed as a minidoll in the Disney Princess theme didn't stop them from creating Ariel as a minifig, there's no reason Jasmine couldn't follow suit.
New Orleans Square: This one was easy: Jack Skellington and Tiana. Yes, I said Skellington and not Sparrow, because the latter has been done.
Critter Country: Here I hit my first big roadblock. Male characters connected with Critter Country are easy to list. I hemmed and hawed and ultimately decided to go with Winnie The Pooh, because as much as I don't think his ride fits in Critter Country, so few people have seen Song of the South anymore that Splash Mountain may as well be a park original. Lots of people want Pooh Bear to be in the next Disney series anyway.
Female characters, though...the only possible candidate actually present in Critter Country is Kanga, who is not humanoid enough to be rendered as a minifig per se. I wound up having to break one of my own rules to fill this slot with Judy Hopps, who does not have any actual connection with the area, but whose movie would fit in reasonably well there.
Frontierland: This was another land that gave me basically no trouble, and as a bonus, I was able to do a sort of old/new contrast. Davy Crockett and Pocahontas.
Fantasyland: Wow, where to start? I can basically take my pick. So I'm picking...Snow White for the gal. Her importance to both Fantasyland and the Disney Animated Canon is indisputable. For the dude, I'm a bit torn between Pinocchio and Mr. Toad. (Peter Pan is out of the running.) I think I have to give the nod to Pinocchio, for the same reason as Pooh Bear: Toad just isn't well-known enough outside of Disneyland anymore.
Mickey's Toontown: Okay, now what? Four of Disney's flagship characters from the classic shorts already exist as minifigs, and I assigned a fifth to Main Street. Well...we still don't have Goofy, so he can fill the male slot.*** The female one is going to be trickier, though. The most popular lady associated with Toontown who isn't already a minifig is probably Jessica Rabbit, but I feel that when body shape is so central to a character's concept, transformation into a trapezoid defeats the purpose. Instead, I'm giving this one to Gadget Hackwrench of Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, the inspiration for Gadget's Go-Coaster.
Tomorrowland: This one was very troublesome. You'd think it would be very easy what with all the IP saturation, but most of the suitable characters have been rendered as minifigs already, even Buzz Lightyear (not only as a collectible minifig, but in the Toy Story theme that was released to coincide with Toy Story 3). What eventually came to my rescue was meet-and-greets. Specifically past meet-and-greets—it's ironic, but it will have to do. For the male character, I chose Big Hero 6's Baymax, who is, I suppose, technically genderless but whose voice codes him as male. The female character is even more of a stretch, but I've always thought she (and her entire movie) deserve more recognition from both the company and the public: Princess Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
Star Wars Land: At last, I have found a land that...completely stymies me. Star Wars is LEGO's longest-running license, and I'm pretty sure every named character from every movie and TV series, and even some of the Expanded Universe, has been made into a minifig at least once. So it looks like I won't be able to include it after all, at least this time around. In order to make this a proper 18-figure Disney series, I'm going to have do something a little different with the last two minifigs:
Parades and Shows: Can we talk music and audio for a moment? I collect Disneyland music and audio like whoa, and I do something a bit idiosyncratic with the organization. Most people seem to classify parades and fireworks under Main Street, and Fantasmic! under Frontierland, since, you know, that's where they take place. I give them their own separate folder, because not only do these things technically cross land boundaries, they are not specifically themed to the areas where they appear. Parades and fireworks, in addition, are planned as temporary attractions, with new ones replacing them every few years. They're outliers in many ways, is my point.
The upshot is that the last two minifigs in this series will belong to this category of Disneyland entertainment. I'm going with Sorcerer Mickey as the male character, alluding to his climactic appearance in Fantasmic!, and the Blue Fairy, who has led multiple Disneyland parades,**** as the female character.

Next week: More of this!



* Technically 112.5%.
** See how nice I'm being to Star Wars Land, acknowledging it left and right? Hang on...did I make a New Year's resolution without noticing or something?
*** I feel like there's a Toontown Post Office joke to be made here.
**** Starting with, and most famously, the Main Street Electrical Parade—welcome back!

No comments:

Post a Comment