Monday, November 12, 2018

Kidnap the Magic: Disneyland Christmas Ornaments

We can start thinking about Christmas decorations now, right?
One year, my Christmas decorations revolved around a Disneyland theme. Before you roll your eyes and go “Well, duh,” you should be aware that I choose a different decorating scheme every year, and usually it's color-based. For instance, this year, my colors are red, green, gold, and purple.
But one year, I just couldn't settle on a palette for some reason, so I went with Disneyland. I used all the various mouse-eared ornaments I've picked up at the park itself, tied loops of string to my die-cast ride vehicles to turn them into ornaments and since that wasn't enough to really fill out my tree...I made a bunch more. I made an entire set based on the Small World Promenade Wreaths, using 6” snowflake ornaments as backdrops. I gave those away to a friend some years ago, but I still have some others that I put together:



And I do mean put together. These ornaments are assemblages of elements. Disneyland is far from my only subject matter when it comes to creating ornaments like these,* but I'm sure it's the one you're interested in. They're actually pretty easy to make, if time-consuming...but you do need special materials that are not necessarily easy to acquire. Said materials are as follows:


Foamcore Satin Ornaments

These are polystyrene shapes completely wrapped with colored fibers, and they used to be a lot easier to come by; I found my first batch at Wal-Mart. (I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in years, so for all I know they still sell them, but I don't recommend them anyway—the following linked websites sell ones of much higher quality.) Nowadays, I get them from the following two websites. The Craft Place has a much wider selection of sizes and colors, but sells only in multi-packs. Gifts by Christine has a wider selection of shapes and sells individual ornaments, but the color selection is dicier and they don't come in satin finishes, only matte (and a few metallic).

Sequins and/or Foil Confetti.

If the word “sequin” only makes you think of little round metallic bits with a hole in the center...boy, do I have a lot to teach you. An entire drawer of my craft dresser is stuffed full of bags and bags of different shapes and colors of sequins and confetti, and I do mean stuffed—as in, it can be hard to open and close. I'll list shape and color recommendations for various Disneyland themes later on; for now here is a partial list of good sources:

Pins

Use these to stick your sequins and confetti to your ornament base(s). Straight pins of the kind used for sewing work just fine, but I prefer specialized “sequin pins” that are both shorter and finer and thus a little easier to insert all the way into the foamcore. (Gifts By Christine sells them.) I stock them with both silver and gold-colored finishes in order to coordinate with different color palettes.
I also stock various colors of pearl-headed pins for the aesthetic details those can provide.


Seed Beads

These are those super-tiny beads sold in little tubes. You can go without them, especially using confetti pieces that don't have a pre-punched hole, but they make the ornaments look nicer, they help to anchor sequins with a hole, and it's much easier to push the pin in to a bead's length away from the surface of the ornament, than to push it in flush. Plus you can play with color, create various effects, etc.


Ribbons, Braid Trims, Satin Cords, Etc.

These are used not only potentially as part of your design, but to create hangers for the ornaments. Metallic braid trims look really fantastic against dark or bold-colored ornament bases.


Miscellaneous

Acrylic gems, little jewelry findings, buttons, tassels, and—oh yeah—hot glue. If you can find a way to attach something to a foamcore base, you can use it. It's an extremely versatile craft type.


But I digress. How do you put all this together to create Disneyland ornaments? Let's look at that top photo again:


It's not a great photo, I'll admit. It doesn't really show off the ornaments to their best effect. But here's what each one is meant to evoke and some of the pieces I used:
New Orleans Square: Purple base, a snaking loop of purple, green, and gold sequins representing Mardi Gras beads, and then additional Mardi Gras-related shapes: fleurs-de-lis, trumpets, crowns, masks, fans, etc.
Alice in Wonderland: Dark green base, pink and green leaves (hard to see in the photo), flamingos and card suit symbols. The sides of the ornament not visible in the photo have flowers, butterflies, and white rabbits.
Haunted Mansion: Black base, ghosts and gravestones. The upper corner visible in the photo represents the Seance Room, with a clear cabochon gem (for Leota's crystal ball) and floating musical instruments.
Jungle Cruise: Bold green base, an abstraction of the river (using blue wavy shapes) wrapped around the middle. Above and below that (the “banks” of the river), I made clusters of leaf-shaped sequins to represent the thick foliage and stuck little jungle animals in them.
Enchanted Tiki Room: Bold yellow base, a central Tiki head surrounded by four parrots of different colors and lots of musical notes. As an example of what you can do with beads, I chose contrasting colors on the parrots to outline their wing and tail feathers and give the appearance of colorful patterns.


There are of course many more possibilities. For instance, you could try making a set to represent the eight (soon to be nine) lands, using bases that reflect their map colors and embellished with appropriate shapes (my New Orleans Square ornament is a good example). As for individual attractions that aren't covered in my little set of five, here's a smattering of ideas:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Pirate-themed confetti sets are certainly a thing, although color selection is pretty rigid. It's also not clear what would be the best color to use for the base...dark blue maybe? You could also go with a dark wine-red and try to recreate the imagery of the talking skull with the crossed cutlasses underneath, which is probably the single most iconic image from the ride.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: A golden-yellow base dotted with bees and teddy bears. Umbrellas and elephants are also relatively easy to find as confetti shapes, if you wanted to illustrate some of the ride's specific scenes a little.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Start with an orange or rust-colored base, encircle it with thin ribbons in other sandstone colors, and add a few confetti train cars, as well as tiny gold sequins representing gold nuggets.
Fantasy Faire: Use bold colors, rich gold braid and tassels, and medieval-esque shapes such as fleurs-de-lis, crowns, and lions to create a sense of regal luxury. With the right materials, you could do an entire set of Disney Princess ornaments (I've tried, but only managed, like, four of them), but for the Faire itself, you probably want more general imagery.
Snow White's Scary Adventures: Add apples, jewels, and perhaps skulls to a black or dark blue base. Very Gothic!
it's a small world”: You can see my photo replicating the clock face** above, but if you don't want to try anything that intricate, you can still put gold and silver pinwheels, numerals, and tesselating shapes on a white base. But maybe don't use a spherical ornament for this? A drum (cylinder) could work really well.
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage: The base should be ultramarine turquoise. Fish and seashell confetti is quite common, but even more delightfully should this be your desire, you can get Finding Nemo branded confetti with Nemo and Dory as actual foil shapes! As an alternate, you could take a bright yellow base and wrap a row of “portholes” around the middle. Or do both, and make them a paired set.
Star Tours (or Star Wars attractions in general): Likewise, you can get Star Wars confetti with pieces shaped like the symbols for the Empire and Rebellion. It might be pretty hard to ensure the identification with the attraction(s) rather than the film series, however.

So there you go! Some basic ideas for creating Disneyland-themed Christmas ornaments. If you decide to go ahead and make any, please let me see them!


* I may or may not have an entire Etsy shop where I sell them.
** The topography of this ornament is weird, because the actual clock face is on a flat surface but I tried to recreate it on a hemisphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment