Sunday, August 16, 2015

Beyond Blue Sky: What Kind of Castaway Are You?

Last week, I shared an Armchair Imagineering proposal for turning Adventureland's Treehouse, once the home of the Swiss Family Robinson and now of Tarzan, into a generalized Castaway's Treehouse where the guests themselves are the implicit inhabitants. One of the interactive features I suggested including was a “What Kind of Castaway Are You?” personality quiz, along with related merchandise.
This week, to keep Adventureland August going, I decided...what the heck, I'll write the quiz! Enjoy!


Welcome to the Castaway's Treehouse! Well, actually, you should be welcoming me—it's your home, after all. When you set out on that sea voyage a few months ago, I bet you never imagined you'd wind up shipwrecked on this tropical island! If you don't mind, I'd like you to answer a few questions so I can find out how you're taking to this new lifestyle.

1. What was the first thing you did when you realized the ship was going down?
a) I got on the radio and sent out a distress call to any other ships that might be in the area!
b) I headed for the nearest lifeboat to beat the rush and waited until the worst was over.
c) I ran down to the hold to grab as many supplies as I could!
d) I jumped overboard to take my chances with the sharks!

2. What's the best thing about being shipwrecked?
a) The incident is sure to have made the news so people will come looking for me.
b) I can sleep in as late as I want and have almost unlimited free time.
c) I get to call this island my own and rebuild my life the way I want it.
d) There are lots of monkeys and toucans to talk to.

3. What's the worst thing about being shipwrecked?
a) Pretty much everything else.
b) The lack of room service and air-conditioning in my Treehouse.
c) There's no one around to invite over so I can show off my handiwork.
d) I don't really fit in here, with my upright posture and lack of fur.

4. You're in your Lookout Station one day when a ship appears on the horizon! Unfortunately, it appears to be a pirate ship! What do you do?
a) Flag them down! Even living with pirates would be better than this!
b) Hide. If I'm going back to civilization, I want it to be on a cruise ship.
c) Prepare to defend my home!
d) Ignore it. The affairs of humans mean nothing to me anymore.

5. Which of the devices you invented for your Treehouse is your favorite?
a) The hand-cranked generator I use to power the radio so I can attempt to contact the outside world.
b) My easily adjustable hammock with canopy and dual cupholders.
c) My wind-powered irrigation system.
d) Who needs devices when you have teeth?

6. What advice would you give others in your situation?
a) Keep the woodpile well-stocked so you can keep the signal fire going day and night.
b) Relax. You're finally free.
c) Make sure to build your treehouse sturdy from the start. Repairs eat up a lot of time that could be used for growing food.
d) Ditch the clothes right away. They'll just get in the way while you're running around.

Tally up your responses by letter!

If you chose mostly a answers: You are a Reluctant Castaway. This situation is basically a nightmare for you and you can't wait to get back to civilization. You probably spend most of your days in the Lookout Station, cranking the radio generator and watching the horizon for someone, anyone, who can rescue you.
If you chose mostly b answers: You are an Eternal Vacationer. You didn't plan for this, but you're certainly going to take advantage of it—being lost at sea means no obligations and no demands on your time. You probably spend most of your days in the Bedroom or lounging on the Deck, enjoying the sea breezes and sipping mango juice.
If you chose mostly c answers: You are a Homesteader. You knew you were going to be here a while, so you dug in and adapted, working with your own hands to make the island a suitable home. By now you can hardly remember your old way of life. You probably spend most of your days in the Garden, tending your crops, or else exploring the surrounding jungle to find what else you can use.
If you chose mostly d answers: You are a Wild Child. This island was uninhabited by humans before you landed on it, and as far as you're concerned, it can stay that way—you'll just join the animals! You probably spend most of your days outside the Treehouse altogether, roaming free with the other tropical beasts.

Share your results, plus any feedback, in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment